Sunday, October 9, 2011

2 Nephi 2:1, Multiply and Replenish the Earth

Elder Neil L. Andersen, in the October 2011 General Conference, referenced this verse as applying to the command to exercise our faith in having children even when it is not convenient. It was grateful for the talk. I have heard many in the church acting as if this commandment, to multiply and replenish the earth, refers to after graduation or the perfect job, or after establishing a successful career. They fail to see that we have children with faith, just as we pay tithing with faith. We don't wait until our savings is full to pay tithing rather we pay tithing as we earn income. We have children when we covenant to do so over the sealing alter.

Children are the perfect opportunity to learn to become like God. I have seen my weaknesses magnified and have had many opportunities to learn to teach as God does with me. God teaches gently, directly, quietly, appropriately, timely, patiently, justly, mercifully, correctly, etc. I have learned that the Holy Ghost is essential to correct teaching. I must strive to follow the commandments of God to be blessed with His influence. I must seek out the examples found in the way Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father teach in the scriptures. The prophets also show how to teach.

One example is when Lehi ceased speaking to them, Laman and Lemuel (1 Nephi 8:38). The Lord will not always speak to us if we quit listening. Sometimes with our children, we have to judge when we have said enough and it is time to let them choose.

Children bring great joy and happiness as has been promised to us. I once heard or read where Elder Bruce C. Hafen recalled how children squeeze the selfishness out of us. That is so true. And because selfishness is sin, we find greater and greater happiness as we lose our selves in the work and joy of raising children. We take part in God's work and glory in bringing to pass the eternal life of His children (Moses 1:39).

I'm so grateful for my children. I'm grateful I was taught the importance of having children with faith. I been blessed tremendously, temporally and spiritually, for following this commandment. I know children are an heritage of the Lord (The Family, A Proclamation to the World).

No comments:

Post a Comment