Sunday, May 19, 2019

During the Test, the Teacher is Silent

My family and I heard a phrase on a movie recently and it rang true. It was something like this, “the teacher is silent during the test.” It was in the film, “God’s Not Dead 2.” The woman in the movie, a high school teacher, is standing up for truth in the face of great opposition. She is pleading with the Lord for some assurances and guidance. She feels abandoned. At the time her father is living with her and she tells him that she feels like God is silent with her right now and how she longs to feel close to Him again. He gives her this great counsel. He said something to the effect, “out of all people, you should know, during the test the teacher is silent.” He nailed it. I have witnessed the truth of this principle.

Jesus Christ is THE witness of this principle. He said, “My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?“ (Matthew 27:46). He really felt abandoned. He wasn’t faking it and hoping for self pity. He is a God of truth and when He said, “My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?” It is because Father had left Him. He had to withdraw His spirit and influence and love that the Son might become perfectly good, independently good, independently full of all light and truth. He was good regardless of any other influence in His life. During the greatest test one could ever endure, He went through it alone. He had to go through it alone. It shouldn’t surprise us that during our greatest tests of faith and courage our Teacher is silent, that we might know who we really are.


No comments:

Post a Comment