Sunday, May 26, 2019

“Learn the Truth, Act in Faith in Christ Unto Repentance, and Share the Resulting Joy”

It’s interesting to me how crucial witnesses are. In Helaman 5 Nephi and Lehi are encircled by fire. As the Lamanites cried unto the voice, they received faith in Christ. They also are encircled by fire and angels came down from heaven and ministered unto them. They are bidden to go forth, marvel not and doubt not. They go forth ministering to the all the people, declaring throughout all the regions round about all the things which they had heard and seen insomuch that the more part of the Lamanites were convinced because of the evidences they had received. They received a testimony. Now, how did their testimony lead to conversion? We know that their testimonies grew because they acted in faith. After they were convinced of the truth they laid down their weapons of war and also their hatred and the traditions of their fathers. They even yielded up the lands of their possession (Helaman 5:50-52).  In Helaman 6:1-5 we learn that they were righteous, were converted and exhorted others to faith and repentance. They preached with power and authority.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints has focused on a spiritual pattern lately, “Learn, Act and Share.” This seems to be the pattern here as well. The Lamanites learned the truth because of the many witnesses given them. Then they act in faith in Christ by repenting (changing their behavior) by laying down their weapons of war, their hatred and their false traditions of their fathers. Then they go forth and share the joy of their conversion and invite others to act in faith unto repentance and enjoy the same joys they have experienced.       

Because this is the path unto greater joy and becoming like Jesus Christ and our Father, we can be assured that unless we are perfect we will continually follow this pattern. I believe if we are truly humble then we will always be in these three phases of development. We will be sharing with others the joy we’ve received from the portions of light and truth we have obtained and our resultant repentance. We will also realize that since we have not arrived in God’s continued presence then He is using other witnesses to share with us the next level of learning that we might act in greater faith unto repentance and receive more joy in our lives. Each step requires us to do as these things the Lamanites did; lay down more weapons of war, let go of hatred and let go of false traditions that we are engaged in. This process takes work. Eventually we will see as we are seen and know as we are known as we receive the complete light of Jesus Christ into our lives. Each step takes faith to leave the plateau we are on and those that are on the same plateau will surely fight against us leaving their company. This creates the opposition that we learn is requisite in all levels of righteousness (2 Nephi 2:11).  Then as we are hated for loving light and truth and acting according to our additional light and knowledge we have the opportunity to let go of hate and anger that we may be tempted to have for those that persecute against us, speak all manner of evil about us and fight against us. We learn greater love, the perfect charity that Christ has as He went through the same tests with perfect love. He loved all those that sought to kill Him.

God’s ways are perfect. His plan is perfect. Every step of the way He is involved. I’m grateful for the witnesses He has sent me to testify of more light and truth. I’m grateful for the grace of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, as I wrestle to let go of anything that holds me back from His continual presence. I’m grateful for His mercy as I complete each phase of repentance. I have felt the justice appeased by His suffering and felt the redeeming power of His love. I have felt clasped in the arms of His love.

I’m grateful that I then have the opportunity to share this love with others. As I do, I notice that the Spirit testifies to the truthfulness of what I’m saying and then I also recognize that He sends more messengers to me to lift me to greater light, knowledge and repentance that I may be encircled about in His arms of love again and again. The pattern is real. I pray that I will never say, “A Bible, a Bible, I have a Bible,” or “A Book of Mormon, a Book of Mormon, I have a Book of Mormon,” but that I will always be desiring greater light and knowledge from the Lord. We know that if we truly receive the Book of Mormon He will give us more (3 Nephi 26:9). I testify of these truths in the holy name of Jesus Christ.                    

No comments:

Post a Comment