Tuesday, July 16, 2019

What I Have Learned from Saul Who Became Paul

I have been studying Saul turned to Paul and it has reminded me of the strong feelings I had about him while I was attending Ricks College. It was there I sensed the Lord was trying to teach me greater truths but it was requiring a breaking of the lesser laws that I had sacrificed so much to live. I was in turmoil seeking to understand the will of God for me. I had a profound experience as my professor of my C.S. Lewis class counseled with me in an interview. That professor’s name is David Ward. He is a great blessing in my life. Somehow in the conversation Saul came up. I don’t know what he said but I do remember what the Spirit burned into my soul. It was that Saul was completely dedicated to what he thought God wanted him to do according to the law. He wasn’t a murderer, he was a student of the law of God and was willing to do anything to live the law as he knew it. I believe this is why Jesus Christ appeared to him and called him to a greater work, because Saul was dedicated to what he knew to be true. 

A couple strong principles I feel have blessed me as I ponder Paul. One, when we are faithful to what we believe to be true and our hearts are pure, God rewards that faith, even if we are wrong. Truly the Lord looketh on the heart (1 Samuel 16:7). The second is the Lord will correct us in profound ways if we are truly seeking to do His will, even if we are slightly off in our quest. Sometimes we are so fearful about being deceived we are paralyzed and can’t move forward in faith. If we put our trust and faith in Jesus Christ, then we can know that He will correct us when we stray and we won’t lose out on the blessings He offers us through His redeeming blood. What a freeing principle when we really let this sink into our minds and hearts and act with faith in Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment