Sunday, November 14, 2021

The Book of Mormon and Goodly Parents

 I just finished the Book of Mormon and am starting over. I love, love, love the Book of Mormon, Another Testament of Jesus Christ. It has been an anchor to my conviction of the divine role of redemption Jesus Christ offers me! I can’t rejoice enough in what I have been blessed with because of the knowledge the Book of Mormon offers me. It has done more in expanding my mind and heart into the ways of godliness, faith, hope and charity and has done exactly what Joseph Smith promised, “I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book.” I agree and have found the same fruit in my own life.


As I read the first sentence in the book, “I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in all the learning of my father…” I have had a hard time moving past this phrase. 


I know there are commentaries on what the word “goodly” means. It possibly means wealthy etc. but for me, I like to break it down as meaning “good parents.” So, good parents teach their children


I’m so grateful my parents taught me in their learning. They introduced me to the gospel of Jesus Christ during the most impressionable days of my life. They never quit teaching me. I’m so grateful to them for their love and devotion in seeking to raise me up in the way that I should go. 


I was also pondering my own children. My greatest desire is that as they reflect upon their years in our home, that they will say that their father taught them in his learning. I plead for strength to point them to Christ, their Lord and their Redeemer. Only He has the power to save as they exercise faith in Him, repent and come unto Him. My joy will be if they testify that I pointed them to Jesus Christ. Oh how I long to have that be their memory of me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment