Wednesday, April 13, 2022

God, Angels, Men and Eternal Life

 I’m assuming if you’re still reading my blog, you may have started reading and listening to Denver to see if you resonate with his message. As I’ve mentioned, I was very opposed to Denver because of what I’d been taught about him and his message. I hadn’t taken the time to find out what he was teaching. 


After reading, pondering and praying over his words, I believe part of his role is to reintroduce/restore the gospel of Jesus Christ that Joseph Smith reintroduced, the religion of the fathers. I believe both have stood in the presence of the Lord and are disseminating the word of God. The LDS church has apostatized from the religion of the fathers that Joseph was trying to get into the hearts of the people, so the Lord has seen fit to send another witness.


As I listened to the 10 talks by Denver, I wrestled for quite some time trying to figure out how he fit in with John the beloved in section 77 of the LDS scriptures. I listened to all the talks 10 times or more and I felt it was the same gospel Joseph Smith restored. I was feeling my mind and heart expand and it was delicious to me. Everything Alma teaches us in Alma 32 about a good seed and good fruit shared in Moroni 7 by Moroni. But, I struggled because my paradigm at the time was of John the Beloved doing the gathering as described in Section 77 of Doctrine and Covenants. 


I've heard a couple talks by Denver where he spoke on how angels minister to men and then men to men. (see Moroni 7:20-26, 29-32 (RE Moroni 7:4-6)).

 If you go to the 1:49:30 mark on this link, https://youtu.be/g2MG8fM41wA

you'll hear him describe how John fits in. I believe John and others have ministered to Denver and he now is taking the message to men. 


So, if a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and God the Father is the goal, why mention Denver? I believe Denver is like Joseph Smith. They are messengers from God who have passed through the veil and witnessed Him. Their testimonies increase our faith that we can do as they have done, pass through the veil into the presence of God. This is why the Book of Mormon is so important too. The many witnesses who have passed through the veil give us hope and faith that we can do the same thing they have done. 


In Romans we learn, “How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?

17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God” (Romans 10:14-17).


The Lectures on Faith are even more plain. Lecture 2 goes through a genealogical progression to show how Adam and the patriarchs of old were connected. Adam was in the presence of God and thus exercised faith in him, because he knew him. His faith was an actual knowledge. He lived long enough that his living witness and his testimony of God helped other patriarchs believe his witness and thus exercise faith in God until they rose up themselves to enter into the presence of the Lord for themselves. Thus, the principle that living witnesses help us exercise faith in a being whom we have not seen but hope to see and know. 


Lecture 3, in the Lectures on Faith, teaches that to exercise faith in God we need to have a correct idea of his character, perfections and attributes. Those who know the Lord in the flesh are qualified to teach us these things because of their living witness of the reality of the Lord. They have stood in his presence and have spoken with him. 


So, is our faith in Adam, Enoch, Abraham, Joseph Smith or Denver? No, it is in the Lord, Jesus Christ and Father in heaven. Jesus is who redeems us from the fall. Jesus is the prototype of the saved being (see Lecture 7 of Lectures on Faith). These individuals who have climbed the path back into his presence know the principles of the journey back into his presence and can share how it is done. That’s why we have the scriptures, to help us have our own REAL, TANGIBLE experiences with the Lord. As we study the scriptures and eye witness accounts, we recognize that each journey is unique but key principles are the same. We gain the sparks of faith to climb the mountain for ourselves. As we climb in faith, we obtain the mind of God little by little and receive that spirit that leadeth to do good. Eventually we find ourselves redeemed from the fall and back in the presence of the Lord. 


In Joseph Smith’s day the Lord desired that all would come up the mountain of the Lord to be in his presence. Joseph was frustrated that the members of the church were relying upon him too much and not wanting to have a direct relationship with the Lord. It is recorded in the Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith that, “President Joseph Smith read the 14th chapter of Ezekiel—said the Lord had declared by the Prophet, that the people should each one stand for himself, and depend on no man or men in that state of corruption of the Jewish church—that  righteous persons could only deliver their own souls—applied it to the present state of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints—said if the people departed from the Lord, they must fall—that they were depending on the Prophet, hence were darkened in their minds, in consequence of neglecting the duties devolving upon themselves, envious towards the innocent, while they afflict the virtuous with their shafts of envy” (TPJS p. 237-8).


Remember what Moses taught when others came to him complaining of two men prophesying in camp, “Would to God that all the Lord’s people were prophets, and that the Lord would put his spirit upon them” (RE Numbers 7:19; Numbers 11:29).


True witnesses don’t want others relying on them. They share their witness of the Lord in hope that others will gain faith to ascend the mountain themselves and then can testify to others as well, thus all knowing the Lord and being prepared for his coming. Then will the prophecy of Jeremiah be fulfilled, “And they shall teach no more every man his neighbor and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord — for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, says the Lord” (RE Jeremiah 12:9; Jeremiah 31:34). Zion will then be established because all are able to abide the presence of the Lord.


Also, I’ve wrestled with a “second time” referenced in 2 Nephi 6:14 (RE 2 Nephi 5:5); 2 Nephi 21:11 (RE 2 Nephi 9:22); 2 Nephi 25:17 (RE 2 Nephi 11:6); 2 Nephi 29:1 (RE 2 Nephi 12:8); Jacob 6 (RE Jacob 4:1); Isaiah 11:10-17 (RE Isaiah 5:4-5). I’ve wondered if this was when Joseph Smith gathered or Denver or both. I would suggest reading the verses I’ve listed plus others you find on the subject. 


Denver’s email response to an inquiry about the “second time” is very insightful: https://denversnuffer.com/2014/07/email-response-second-time/


I have also pondered and prayed over these Ezekiel verses. I feel much is revealed here. In Ezekiel 34:23-31 (RE Ezekiel 17:10-11) Ezekiel 37:21-28 (RE Ezekiel 19:5-7) there is a shepherd who feeds the flock. The Lord is the God of this flock and he offers them a covenant of peace. The Lord breaks the bands of the yoke of these people. I believe it is the same covenant prophesied of by Jeremiah, “Behold, the days come, says the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah — not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt (which my covenant they broke, although I was a husband unto them, says the Lord), but this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel: after those days, says the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts, and will be their God and they shall be my people. And they shall teach no more every man his neighbor and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord — for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, says the Lord. For I will forgive their iniquity and I will remember their sin no more” (RE Jeremiah 12:9; Jeremiah 31:31-34).


I believe Denver is speaking what the Lord gave him to speak in offering this new covenant of peace for the storm fast approaching. If we receive the covenant, we will make a covenant by sacrifice to come to know the Lord. The Lord will fulfill his covenant with his covenant people. 


I believe if you approach the messages Denver is giving in sincerity of heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, you’ll find he is teaching what Joseph Smith and the patriarchs have taught and he is adding his witness to theirs of the Lord, Jesus Christ. A contemporary witness for us in our day. 


As we learn in the Book of Mormon, many would complain of another Bible. “A Bible! A Bible! We have got a Bible, and there cannot be any other Bible” (2 Nephi 29:3; RE 2 Nephi 12:8)...”Wherefore murmur ye because that ye shall receive more of my word? Know ye not that the testimony of two nations [men] is a witness unto you that I am God? That I remember one nation [man] like unto another? Wherefore, I speak the same words unto one nation [man] like unto another. And when the two nations [men] shall run together, the testimony of the two nations [men] shall run together also. And I do this that I may prove unto many that I am the same yesterday, today, and forever, and that I speak forth my words according to mine own pleasure. And because that I have spoken one word, ye need not suppose that I cannot speak another, for my work is not yet finished, neither shall it be until the end of man, neither from that time henceforth and forever” (RE 2 Nephi 12:9-10; 2 Nephi 29:8-9).


The prophecy was the Gentiles wouldn’t want the additional witness of the Book of Mormon. We could say, “Joseph, Joseph, we need no more Joseph.” But, the Lord would remind us that he sends many witnesses just like he does with the scriptural accounts from the old and new worlds, in hopes of encouraging us to become a witness of him in the flesh, the resurrected Lord, Jesus Christ. 


Remember, His whole work and glory is to bring to pass our eternal life (see Moses 1:39; RE Genesis 1:7). Eternal life is defined, “And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent” (John 17:3; RE John 9:19). God uses chosen vessels as angels, messengers, to deliver his messages to us that enable us to walk back into the presence of the Lord and know him.. 


Anyways, I hope this might be helpful for others who believe or are wondering about Denver. Maybe you are wrestling to know how or if Denver fits in to how the scriptures lay things out for the last days and if he is relevant to you. I share this in the hope that you’ll study the scriptures and the material that Denver has taught. I believe if you do, you’ll feel light and truth flowing into you and this will help you in your quest to know the Lord and land you in Zion, a place of peace and safety in the storm fast approaching. 


God is the same yesterday, today and forever. He is no respector of persons. He will not upbraid his children who are sincerely seeking Him. Go forward with your faith in Jesus Christ and he will reward you. He has promised that he rewards those that diligently seek him (RE Hebrews 1:38; Hebrews 11:6; RE T&C 140:13; RE 1 Nephi 3:5; 1 Nephi 10:17-19).


I add my witness that I have received the promised blessing in D&C 93:1. There are several thoughts and feelings I have about why I received that witness so long ago. I received it when I was 20 years old and it has sustained a life of faith in Jesus Christ. Not a perfect life, but a life seeking to do the will of God. I only share this in the hope that it will encourage you in your quest to know the Lord. I haven’t received all the promised blessings of the Lord and so I’m continuing to seek Him earnestly and patiently. I have been encouraged by Joseph’s, Denver’s and all the words of the Lord and his holy prophets. I pray they will aid you too in your quest to know him. 


PS - I think it’s interesting to consider how you or I would have reacted to Joseph Smith had we been a contemporary adult with him and if it’s similar to our reaction to a Denver Snuffer. I think it’s ironic Joseph’s name was about as plain as could be and he was a simple man laboring with his hands. Denver had a quite unique name. He’s a lawyer and labors with his mind for sustenance. I believe these are all tests the Lord uses to see if we believe him when he says he is no respector of persons.



No comments:

Post a Comment