Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Preach the Word

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

I am reading in Helaman where Nephi gives up the judgment seat to preach the word w/ his brother Lehi (Hel. 5). In our Sunday school lesson Sunday, much was said about preaching the word of the prophets and the scriptures. I have noticed that is my safeguard as well. Once I go outside of their teachings, it opens myself up to be railed against by others. Even if what I say is true, if I don’t have the words of the latter-day prophets or words of scriptures to back me up, then I stand alone without ground to stand on. Many times when I share the words of prophets, I’ll still stand alone, but at least I have ground to stand on.

12 And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the arock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your bfoundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty cstorm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.

13 And it came to pass that these were the words which Helaman ataught to his sons; yea, he did teach them many things which are not written, and also many things which are written.

14 And they did remember his words; and therefore they went forth, keeping the commandments of God, to teach the word of God among all the people of Nephi, beginning at the city Bountiful; (Helaman 5:12-14).

It is interesting to me that their father taught them many things that were written and not written. They went forth, still keeping the commandments of God, and teaching the word of God. I imagine they were taught wonderful things by their father that had not been written, because the people weren’t ready for it. They went forth preaching the word in its purity to the convincing of men. The power they taught with helped them convince many that the traditions of their fathers were incorrect and wicked (Hel.5:19). The word is powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment